Back in late May, the MDP were issued a building challenge... the contest ran until early June. I am including here the details of the challenge as well as some photos and videos of a few submissions. Some of them are funny... some of them followed the "letter of the law"... and some of them were just plain strange.
Here is a summary of the rules:
“Make a mobile NXT robot that can find and recognize a wall and negotiate (get over) it, without touching the wall”.
1. The challenge field is one square meter (10.764 square feet) and the robot must start from the perimeter of the action area.
2. The challenge field's perimeter can be marked in any way you like (wall, black line etc.) as long as the physical marking does not aid the robot in the actual mission other than marking the boundary of the Action Area.
3. The challenge field must be a square.
4. The wall must be 10 centimeters (3.937 inches) high, 20 centimeters (7.87 inches) wide and about 2 centimeters (appr. 1 inch) deep - (possibly made of LEGO bricks)
5. The wall must be placed in the center of the Action Area.
6. The robot must not be pre-programmed to travel towards the wall, but has to find it autonomously.
7. Remote controls and BT commands are not allowed.
8. Only the elements and sensors found in the NXT tool set must be used.
9. Any possible programming language can be used.
The winning robot (and inventor) is the one that completes the Challenge the fastest and by not touching the wall as it goes over it.
Here are some links to videos and pictures submitted by challengers:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8