The MCP4 have been working, nose to the grindstone, on many new updates for the NXT. We'll be able to talk more about them at WorldFest next month, so come by the LEGO booth to see some demos, new robot designs, new sensors, and more.
One thing I'm very happy about is the upcoming release of the LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT 3.0 in August 2010. LEGO has taken the complaints from MCP4 and blog readers and made some serious changes to the kit. Again, I can't comment on all the changes, but a few that have been approved for sharing:
* Improved Touch Sensor - this sensor will be able to detect when it is pressed, released, bumped, and rubbed. "Rubbed" is a subjective state that you will be able to configure using the sensor's new block
* 40 Hassenpins - LEGO has heard our complaints and is bumping the count of Hassenpins up significantly
* The new "Smithpin" - 10 of these little beauties, designed by MCPer Chris Smith, will be included. They have a unique design that will allow 7L beams to be connected at obtuse angles to form diametrically opposed co-joints. This is a HUGE thing for us, so email LEGO and THANK THEM for this new part.
* 50L beams - 6 of these bad boys are being included... forget 15L beams... these are more than triple in size and will give your robots the ability to reach out and poke someone.
* LEGO memory card support for the brick - Yes, it's finally going to be available in the 3.0 kit - you'll be able to use a memory card (2MB in size) that you can buy directly from LEGO Online - current price is going to be around $50-60.
* Mirrored Motors - you only get 1 of these, but that's all you'll need. The standard motors will be cut from 3 to 1 in the kit, but the mirror motor is simply a housing that fuses two NXT motors together so you no longer have to come up with methods for connecting them and keeping them rigid.
Many more changes in store for the LEGO NXT 3.0 kit... LEGO will stop selling the 2.0 kit in July and has promised a reduced price of the 3.0 kit. Current price we're being told is $125.00 and they throw in 2 rechargeable batteries if you pre-order.
If you like what you're hearing, be sure to email MR. LEGO and tell him you LOVE the redesign of the kit. If you don't like it, email him anyway and let him know what you WOULD like to see in the 3.0 kit. Emails must be received by end of day today in order to make the WISH LIST.