In the past years I've received a lot of questions about LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT set versions. Here's an article I wrote which hopefully covers most of these questions. You'll find an overview of:
- Overview of all three versions of the NXT set, and the differences in the included electronics
- Links to element parts lists
- Overview of Education base set and resource set (two versions)
- Color vs. Light Sensor - which is in the NXT set?
- NXT Rechargeable battery, what is it?
- Upgrading NXT kit
- Upgrading NXT "1.0" software
- NXT Versions and NXT Books
Most of this is very basic information, but the variety of NXT sets and information can be confusing for new users and teachers. Especially when you buy a lot of sets for the classroom, it's important to know what you buy.
I'm not making any recommendations to what you should buy, I'm only collecting a lot of information in one place. Click to view article.
And a question to those who use the NXT-G education software: Can you use the LEGO NXT 2.0 Color sensor in NXT-G Edu 2.x? I'd like to add that to the information to the article.